DIY Outdoor Monogrammed Drop Cloth Pillow Project
I am in the process of doing a mini make over on my back patio. I am planning to spending a lot more time out there doing hand embroidery - I have a few unfinished projects that I would like to complete. I wanted to add some pillows to my patio chairs - the plan is the more comfortable I am, the more I will get done:) [caption id="attachment_1152" align="aligncenter" width="401" caption="Outdoor canvass drop cloth pillow"][/caption]
The Pillow ProcessOut door pillows are relatively inexpensive - you can pick them up at any big box store for between $13 and $20.00. However, if you prefer not to have the same pillows as your neighbors, then you can easily whip one up. [caption id="attachment_1162" align="aligncenter" width="400" caption="Monogrammed 'm' Pillow"][/caption]
I had some pieces of canvas drop cloth left over from another project (I'll tell you about that in another post). I decided to use them for my outdoor pillow project.
- First I cut the drop cloth into 18 inch squares
- I selected a font on my computer and printed it on 11 by 17 paper.
- I used carbon paper to transfer the monogram to the fabric - I happen to have a large supply of carbon paper - I got them from an office that was going out of business. You can pick them up at any office supply or craft store. They are sometimes called transfer paper.
- I used color craft markers to outline the letters and then filled in the outlines with a contrasting fabric paint.
- To make the fabric water proof, I used Thermoweb Heat'n Bond Iron-On Vinyl. Follow the manufacturers instructions and apply the vinyl to the drop cloth.
- Construct your pillow.